- Crushed Oatmeal – 1/4 cup (crush it by hands or use a coffee grinder)
- Baking Soda – 1 cup
- Citric Acid – 1/2 cup
- Sea Salt – 1/2 cup (don't worry, you can find it pretty easily in grocery stores)
- Coconut Oil – 4 tablespoons (make sure you are using the virgin coconut oil to give a nice smoothness to your skin)
- Meatball Maker or Bath Bomb Molds (or use your hands to crumple up)
- Food coloring and essential oils (optional)
1). Mix oatmeal, baking soda, citric acid & sea salt together using a whisk. Add food coloring if you have one. Make sure to mix well and not leave any clumps.
2). Melt coconut oil completely in the microwave. It takes approximately 10-15 seconds.
3). Add melted coconut oil slowly while whisking it into the dry mixture (here you can add a few drops of essential oils). After adding all the melted coconut oil into the dry ingredients, the mixture will have the consistency of slightly wet sand and will form little clumps.
4). Finally, shape a bath bomb using a meatball maker. Pack the mixture into the meatball maker tightly. Wait about a minute before attempting to get the bath bombs out. Don't forget to let the bombs dry 1-2 days before use.
2. Homemade Shea Butter & Coconut Milk Soap
This soap's DIY recipe has a perfect combination of nourishing components that plump up dry skin while keeping it soft and supple. A blend of peppermint essential oil gives it a refreshing touch and antiseptic properties to calm dry skin that itches. In case you have body acne, substitute peppermint for tea tree oil for better effect.
- 1/2 cup shea butter soap base
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 7-10 drops of essential oil (optional)
Steps:1). Cut the shea butter soap base into cubes and melt it in a double boiler. Make your own double boiler by placing the soap base in a glass bowl over a pan filled with boiling water and wait as the soap base melts (usually takes about 10-15 minutes).
2). In another bowl, combine coconut milk powder, coconut oil and peppermint essential oil with a whisk until you get a smooth mixture.
3). When the soap base has fully melted, add the coconut milk powder, coconut oil and peppermint mixture and stir vigorously until the soap starts to thicken up.
4). Now turn off the burner and carefully pour the soap mixture into a silicone mold.
Let it harden for about 2 hours. You can place the mold in the refrigerator if you want to get it out quicker. When cooled let them dry overnight.