This salad is deliciously healthy and gluten-free and combines quinoa, chickpeas, carrots, and cabbage. Check the recipe below and try to cook it at home!
For the Salad:
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup salted cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh shredded ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Place the quinoa in a medium sauce pot. Add 2 cups of water, cover, and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, stir the quinoa. Cover again and simmer until the water is absorbed about 15 minutes. Then remove from heat and let the quinoa steam in the pot for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Slice all the vegetables.
- Once the quinoa has cooled a little, add all the veggies and toss the salad with the dressing. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Vegan Burrito Bowls
This recipe is an amazing idea to make for a quick and delicious dinner! The best thing is that it is really versatile! You can enjoy it as a salad, scoop it up with tortilla chips or pile it into a tortilla for a taco!
For the bowl
- 1 can black beans
- 225g frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups dry instant brown rice
- Salsa sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, smashed
- 1/3 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp non-dairy milk to thin (if necessary)
- To make a dressing, combine all ingredients, except the non-dairy milk, in a small bowl and stir well to combine. Add 1 tbsp non-dairy milk at a time and stir until you reach your desired consistency. Set aside.
- For burrito bowls, cook the instant rice according to package directions, it usually takes about 5 -10 minutes. When the rice is done, add to the same pot the black beans, corn, and salsa. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through, about 5 minutes. Take off heat, add bell peppers and cilantro if using. Pour in dressing and combine.
3. Green Bean and Potato Curry
Green Bean and Potato Curry is filling and healthy vegetable dish rooted in Indian cuisine. It takes no more than 20 min to make but will be a perfect starter or an excellent side at your dinner table.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds (900 g) potatoes diced
- 2 1/2 cups (270 g) green beans cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder or less if you don't like it too spicy (*see notes)
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cups (720 ml) vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Chop the potatoes and green beans into bite-sized pieces, dice the onion, and mince the garlic & ginger. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Then add fresh ginger, garlic, all spices, potatoes, and green beans. Sauté for a further one minute, stirring frequently.
- Add vegetable broth and bring the soup to a boil.
- Let simmer over low heat with a lid for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes and green beans are fork-tender.
- Combine coconut milk and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir with a whisk until there are no lumps. Add the mixture to the curry. Let simmer for a few more minutes without a lid to thicken the curry.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more salt/pepper/spices if needed.
4. Grilled Corn Salad
Look at this colorful and refreshing grilled corn salad! Surely, you can't miss a chance to try it!
- 4 ears corn, husks, and silks removed (about 3 cups)
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 avocados, peeled and cubed (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 batch avocado cilantro lime dressing
- Prepare and preheat your grill to high heat. If you don't mind a little oil, lightly spray the grill.
- Place the corn on the grill and let it sit until one side starts to blacken. Turn to char the remaining sides. Remove when all sides are somewhat charred, and the corn is cooked throughout. Don't leave the corn on the grill too long, or it will dry out. This could take about 8-10 minutes.
- When the corn is cool enough to handle, slice the kernels off the cob and place into a large bowl.
- Now place all the veggies in the large bowl with the corn (except the avocado). Sprinkle with salt & pepper and toss to combine.
- Pour dressing over veggies and toss to combine. Now add avocado and toss gently so they don't mash together. Taste for seasoning and add as needed.
5. Creamy Mushroom Risotto
This creamy and rich mushroom risotto recipe is bursting with so much flavor that we couldn't help sharing it with you!
For the Risotto:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Packs (500g) brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1.5 cups (300g) risotto rice
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Prepare the 6 cups vegetable broth and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a pot, add the onion and sauté on medium-high for a couple of minutes.
- Then add in the sliced mushrooms, cover the pot and cook for a couple of minutes until the mushrooms have released some of their water.
- Then remove the lid and add the rice and sauté it with the onions and mushrooms.
- Then add 3 cups of vegetable broth, stir well, and then cover and simmer for around 20 minutes until the broth is mostly absorbed.
- Then add 1.5 cups vegetable broth, stir well again and cover and simmer for around 10 minutes until the broth is mostly absorbed.
- Then add the last 1.5 cups of vegetable broth, stir well again and cover and simmer for a final 5-10 minutes.
- It’s ready when all the broth has been mostly absorbed by the rice.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the 2 tbsp of vegan butter.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with chopped parsley and some vegan parmesan.
Find all ingredients you need to make these amazing vegan dishes at www.grocemania.co.uk