This recipe is a good source of fun for people who have unlimited culinary passion and fantasy. Simply take the mushrooms and stuff them with pretty much anything you have in your fridge. Adjust this recipe according to your taste and preference or try our variance of this classic dish – will be delicious either way.
- 500g Large Mushrooms (white button, Portobello, etc.)
- Mushroom stems, diced
- 450 g bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large red onion, diced and caramelized
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 5-6 springs fresh basil, diced
- extra fresh basil leaves, diced
- spices and herbs, as preferred
- In the pan cook bacon and crumble it. Once done, drain the pan of the grease.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook on a medium heat, stirring occasionally every 1-2 minutes for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the stems of the mushrooms and dice. Add them into the pan with your onions. Add garlic at the same time. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the onions are caramelized.
- Turn off the heat, add spices and deiced basil and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 190 C.
- Put the onion stuffing into the mushroom cups and make sure they are filled to the top.
- Put mushrooms on a baking tray and place it into the oven for approximately 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with the fresh basil leaves and serve warm.